Thursday, June 21, 2007

More About Us, Less About Her

Wifey and I have some friends whose son was diagnosed with Autism this past year. The mother of this child has been writing about her experience as a way of processing the experience for herself and to share her experience with others who might be going through something similar.

In the same way, I intend for this blog to be about (among other things) our journey and our struggles as the sudden parents of a teenaged foster child. We want those few of you who know us to share an insight into our lives, struggles and successes. We know that you care about us, will respect Jme and her privacy, and will commiserate or celebrate with us as occasion arises.

Having said that, I don’t want Jme’s missteps, struggles or misfortune to be exploited for my or anyone else’s entertainment. Wifey and I have thought and talked a lot about how much we should share here. In the end we feel that this is what we might share with any of you over a cup of coffee if we could. I hope we are sharing our own lives while respecting her privacy. Her mistakes, her history and her growing up should be her own.