Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dear Mr. Bossman

All of the issues that I discussed with you at our last meeting still exist. Ms Hamilton has not indicated that she is resigning, however the classroom management issues in her classroom, her overall enjoyment of teaching her students, and the students' experience in class are all at a very low level. There are wailing and tears coming from either the teacher, the teacher's aide, or the students every day. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic to call it a crisis level. Quite simply, I do not think that we will make it to the end of the school year with 1. our staff intact and 2. the students having experienced a year's academic/social growth.

Ms Hamilton and I have always and continue to get along well professionally and personally. I am not venting or lobbying for her removal, but I am concerned about her mental/emotional/physical health, I am concerned about the teacher's aide in her class, and I am very concerned for our elementary students. She is confused about how to proceed and feels very bad about causing trouble for me or whomever.

I would like some help from you or your staff with some intervention strategies to help Ms Hamilton be successful. Perhaps some professional development in the area of classroom management would help. Perhaps some mentoring from someone such as the New Teacher Mentoring Project (I know they only take first and second-year teachers, but maybe if some special case was pled...), or some other expertly qualified elementary teacher would help. Any other ideas you might have for how to support Ms Hamilton are needed.

On a related note, Ms Hamilton has asked me to change kindergarten from the current full day to a half day to alleviate some of her load. I think it should be a full day, and I am going to make some direct suggestions about how to organize the classroom(s) and utilize the classroom aide to help make the experience better for everyone. Hopefully this will work.

Please advise.