Sunday, May 27, 2007

MJ

We got back from the city on Monday mid evening – a week ago tomorrow. Within about an hour of our arrival, MJ, a local boy here in the bush for the summer, must have been able to sense Jme’s presence or smelled the pheromones on the wind or whatever. He showed up pretty quickly. But he didn’t exactly come knock on the door. As I was sitting in the living room reading, I heard a truck pull up our driveway. And it isn’t as if we get a lot of traffic through our drive. I looked out the window to see MJ’s truck. He stopped, looked toward the house for a minute but only saw me standing in the living room window. I guess I wasn’t who he was looking for, because as soon as he saw me, he jumped back in his truck and peeled away. The happened two more times, each about thirty minutes apart. Jme tells us that she doesn’t have any interest in MJ because he drinks and smokes pot, but we can see through that pretty easily. We went to bed uneasily, knowing that MJ was out and about. But as Wifey and I have reminded each other numerous times, Jme hasn’t yet given us any reason not to totally trust her.

The next morning, BillyBoy woke up at about 7:20, and I carried him into the kitchen to make a bottle. As I turned the corner, I heard voices including a deep male voice coming from Jme’s room. As I walked into her room, she was standing on her bed looking out her window, talking to MJ through the open window. This wasn’t good. I stood at the dinning room window until he looked up and saw me, causing him to slink away with a muttered “fuck.” After he left, I sat on the couch and fed the bottle to BillyBoy. After a short couple of minutes, Jme came in and asked if she could go out for a walk. Something told me that MJ wasn’t the early riser type, and that he had almost certainly been up all night. I said no, that it was too early to go out, and she went back to her room.

Around noon I was out and about when I heard that MJ had been air-ambulanced to the city for injuries sustained when he rolled his vehicle on the road through town sometime during the wee hours of the night. He was apparently very intoxicated. As damaged as his truck was, it was still drivable, and he drove it around behind the new school in an attempt to hide it. Now, I’m kind of putting things together here, but it appears that after he rolled his vehicle, he came to Jme’s window to tell her about it, and that when she wanted to go outside she wanted to go see the damage. I hope I’m wrong about that one.

To be continued tomorrow…